Sunday, July 6, 2008

Atheism - Participating in the debate

It's been an interesting few months as I have done much reading on the internet and seen a lot of different viewpoints. It seems everywhere I go someone is either trying to prove God or the Bible true, or trying to prove that atheism is invalid or bankrupt in some way. My morality has been called into question many times, and I haven't even eaten that many babies yet. For the uninitiated, we atheists love to eat babies.

Do you know what you believe and why? Is it important to you that others think the way you do? Do you feel that you are right? Do you feel that you have absolute truth on your side?

I know what I believe and why, but as to those other questions I would answer no. I am not absolutely certain of anything except that I certainly don't know what I will believe 10 years from now, five years from now, or maybe even as small an increment as weeks from now.

I enjoy the spiritual discussions that go on, but I do not enjoy the anger and hatred I see on both sides. It gets really tiring. I do find it refreshing when I can have a discussion with a Christian and he or she isn't trying to re-convert me. Those discussions are rare. Eventually I may take a break from all this spiritual discussion, after all I don't spend hours discussing invisible pink unicorns, so why would I spend as much time or more discussing the existence of a deity? I guess the reason is that so much of my life was spent worshiping said deity and now that I do not believe, all these actions are giving me a sort of closure. If that's the case then it's totally subconscious because I don't have anything from my Christian past tugging at me, nothing making me think that I'd like to go back. I just simply do not believe it anymore, any of it.

Oh well, that's enough posting of my thoughts for now.

Till next time,
Peace

0 comments: